I’ve moved into a new place and the router is the wrong end of the house. I’ve had all sorts of issues in the past with Powerline adapters so this time I wanted to try out something new.
A client repeater is a wireless router that instead of acting as a router connects to an existing wireless network and repeats the wireless signal and also joins its LAN ports to the wireless network. This way I can have a bank of Ethernet ports physically separated from the rest of the network but still connected.
The ports will be for a server and my work bench with a Pi and a few other projects. It makes life simpler because I don’t have to configure a wireless card for each device.
I also happened to have a spare router lying around – a D-Link DIR-615 (Revision D4), a cheap cheerful freebie from Virgin.
After a bit of research I settled on using the DD-WRT firmware…
If you follow the posts its fairly straightforward. The snag that had me for a while was not matching the channel on the router I was modifying to match the existing router.
This set of commands in a CMD window are handy to examine your current Wireless connection to get the details to enter in the new config:
Possible change of plan to have a Client Bridge as oppose to a repeater bridge and run my own subnet within the house that I can manage (DHCP & DNS) from the server possibly.